Rockvale Community Club

Rockvale Organizes Community Club–1953

Rockvale Community Club (Alice Maglietto originated the idea.) organized October 5, 1953, and was called The United Boosters. It had as its primary aim projects for the benefit of community children. In achieving an impressive list of accomplishments, it also benefited every member of the community.

As documented by Mae Ziolkowski, the club had 17 charter members: Jackie Chiri, Rachel Carestia, Mary Carestia, Minnie Di Rocchi, Kathleen Goodwin, Mary Horvath, Dorothy Kissell, Alice Maglietto, Dolly Maltess, Eunice Rambish, Annabel Saindon, Frances Slack, Erma Stanfield, Vera Smith, Jeanne Wates, Mae Ziolkowski, and Virginia Ziolkowski. The first officers were: President, Alice Maglietto; Vice president, Kathleen Goodwin.

One of the first projects was an asset for Santa Claus. In 1953 when the group was just being organized, members gave a Christmas party for all Rockvale school children. Refreshments and treats were distributed by Santa. School teachers were presented with a book for each room to be added to the library.

Priority projects of the women was to provide shadow-proof shades for the school auditorium and establish a library for use by all children in the community.

Rockvale Community Club Photos

Rockvale Community Club in 2008

The 2005-2006 newly elected officers of the Rockvale Community Club are: Lorraine Veltri, President; Wilma Bufmack, Vice President; Patricia Buland, Secretary; Mary Horvath, Treasurer, Marlene Killday, Chaplain; Wilma Bufmack, Card Chairman.

There are a total of 18 members now. Pat Buland and Marlene Killday are fairly new residents of Rockvale. Pat and her husband
Mike are from Monument. She is a really sweet lady, I would say probably in her early 50’s and Marlene is in her late 60’s. Her and her husband were also from Colorado Springs. They are retired and traveled in a motorhome. They finally settled in Rockvale.

Community Meeting Room

Rockvale Community Meeting Room built in the 1880’s. Next to it is the old wooden school building.

The room is used by clubs and has a kitchen, restroom, and large area for meetings.

Trailhead dedicated to woman


Marylynn Maher, a Rockvale resident for 25 years, stands in the Rockvale Mesa Park in this September, 1995 photo. She was instrumental in construction of the Big Horn Trail at the park. The park is located on the south end of Rockvale. “Marylynn loved this town and particular this mesa,” said Yvonne Flynn, president of the Rockvale Community Club. Marylynn was a member of the Rockvale Community Club from 1989 until her death in 1998, At a dedication ceremony in late August of 1998, a sign marking the trailhead of the park’s Big Horn Trail was unveiled. Deeply engraved in the wood is Maher’s name–a living testament to her work in creating the trail.